External hard drive questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bananas13, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bananas13 macrumors newbie

I just bought a 1TB MyBook because I ran out of space on my MacBook Pro hard drive. I'm a photographer and I like to save all my old photos from weddings and such in case I need to process additional orders later.

I set up Time Capsule, so now I have my whole hard drive copied to MyBook. My question is, can I now delete old photo files on my MacBook Pro to free up space? Are they safely on the MyBook in case I need them later, or is Time Capsule just syncing it with my Mac?

I want to use the MyBook as my main source of photo storage -- only keeping my most recent photos on my Mac drive. Is this possible?

Help would be appreciated! =)

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

nothing is COMPLETELY SAFE on hard drives. I have my stuff on my MBP, on an external Lacie AND burned to several DVD DLs. Redundancy is your best friend. Newegg had a 7200 RPM 750GB drive (Seagate) for $49 shipped earlier this week. Very cheap. I even have my Aperture Library (and iTunes) backed up on my external.

3. mynewromantica macrumors regular

I had the same issue.

I had the same issue a little bit ago. I am also a photographer and the customer contract says that I will keep an archive of their images available for at least 1 year. What I do is I keep all current projects on my computer HD and that is backed up with Time Machine. Each project has it's own Aperture library. I then export the finished JPEGs and Zip them and put the Zip folder and the library on to 2 external HDs. (redundancy is key) I keep the project on my computer until the orders have been filled and I think they won't be asking for more anytime soon.

This works great for me.