External hard drive quit after OS update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillyS, Nov 28, 2015.

1. WillyS macrumors newbie

My external hard drive stopped working after OS X 10.11 update. I contacted support and they were not able to help. I have tried resetting the SMC and that hasn't helped. Restarting makes no difference. The problem is with the OS I suspect and APPPLE could care less about the fact they have screwed up. Other people are reporting USB issues since the update - Apple needs to fix this. However, if any of you have found a quick fix I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

2. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

What's the drive format?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like perhaps you had some drivers installed to access that drive and now the drivers are incompatible with El Capitan. Try this as a test... hold the shift key down while restarting to boot to safe mode. That stops all startup and lacuna items like those drivers from running. Then see if you can access the drive?

If you can, then you need to either remove those drivers or get updated drivers from the vendor.

4. WillyS thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry guys, I should have checked what I had written - it is a CD/DVD external drive NOT a H.Drive.

Thanks for your responses so far. Any suggestions on an external USB connected CD/DVD drive not working? I see several posts in the forums with others having similar problems but haven't come across any solution. Thanks.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Still may be a driver issue. Try the safe mode boot I suggested.

Also try a SMC reset. That can help with peripheral issues.

6. WillyS thread starter macrumors newbie

Waselboy, thanks, I tried those two things but there is no change - the Macbook Pro doesn't see the drive at all. It will see charge and sync my iPhone through the USB port. Any other suggestions?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Do you have another computer you can test the CD drive on? I can't think how El Capitan would break it.