External Hard Drive Reading Really Slowly

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jacanidae, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Jacanidae macrumors newbie

I have a WD elements eternal hard drive. My macbook pro (late 2012) has recently begun having issues reading it, takes about 5 minutes for it to pop up in Finder. When I plug my hard drive into the PC boot camp side of my computer I don't have any issues with it being read (less than a minute). The hard drive was reading perfectly fine until a month ago, and I have no idea why it's not reading quickly anymore. Help?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'd recommend going back into Bootcamp and downloading HD Tune Pro. From there, click 'Health', and select your external HDD from the drop-down list. If at the bottom-left, the health shows as anything other than 'OK', the hard-drive is failing.

If that's OK, please can you confirm which format the disk is in (FAT32, exFAT?) If it's in NTFS, did you download an NTFS driver for OS X (and if so, which one was it please?)

3. Jacanidae thread starter macrumors newbie

The format is FAT32.

Would the hard drive be failing if it works perfectly fine on the PC side? I use it on the PC side to run a MMO off of it and the game works great.

Also I ran check disk in Terminal to see if there were any issues and it was fine.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Well it'll only take 2 minutes to check so it's best to verify the worst case scenario before we look into anything else.