External Hard Drive Recommendation for rMBP (iPhoto)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nowstime, Jul 20, 2012.

1. nowstime macrumors regular

Hi!

I'm loving my new rMBP but having a space issue. I wish I could get the 526GB model but just too much for me.

I have a Firewire 800 WD hard drive but since the rMBP's adapter for firewire is not out yet, I'm planning to get a 3.0 external hard drive.

My main usage will be having photos and video on the external hard drive for editing (iPhoto and iMovie) and viewing video.

Will the USB 3.0 be fast enough for these type of tasks? By fast I mean not much lag during edits and viewing.

I have heard that USB 3.0 is fast but Firewire is more stable...not sure what it means so I'm debating between should I wait for the Firewire adapter or get an USB 3.0 external hard drive.

If I do get one planning to get WD 1TB USB 3.0 portable external hard drive. (might go full 7200 rpm if that's noticably faster than portable version's 5400 rpm).

Thanks in advance...

2. Crisis macrumors member

There are too much devices using USB so if you keep the USB external disk plugged in, only one USB port is left. I personally recommend you to make use of the two thunderbolt ports...

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Any reputable USB 3.0 drive will do. Yes, it's more than fast enough (even a single drive) for what you want to do.

I would forget about FW800, unless you have legacy drives which you still want to use (in this case you do, but you need to get the adapter).

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Don't get anything FireWire, it's dead and buried.
    You also don't need to spend a fortune on a good USB enclosure. Micro Sata Cables makes an excellent enclosure with the 1051e chipset that's good up to 6GB/s. You'll never get close to that with a mechanical hard drive though.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/290660885116?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

5. WillTC macrumors newbie

I'd recommend a WD My Book USB 3.0 Drive. I am using one right in combo with my rMBP. Read/Write speeds are insane. Copying 4GB files in seconds is just awesome. I am using a 2 TB drive.

6. nowstime thread starter macrumors regular

Wish I could afford a thunderbolt hard drive but just too much...But good to hear any usb 3.0 will do...So I guess not much of a speed difference between 5400 vs 7200 external drives?

7. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

If you're not going to install an SSD, install the next best thing, Seagate Momentus.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just get this.

Should be able to get ~140MB/sec. It definitely has a 5400RPM drive.

Or if you ever want to put in an SSD yourself, get this little guy and an SSD of your choice (or this guy, it's on sale). You'll get super fast speeds via USB3.0.

9. Jacobwilson99 macrumors member

Seagate Goflex Portable 1.5tb and a thunderbolt adapter for it. :)

10. jcpb macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't leave the desk, get a USB3 hub, connect the hub directly to the MBP/R, then connect the external storage at the hub.