External Hard drive recommendation- Plex

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ea9, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ea9 macrumors regular

Hi boy and girls,

Need an external HD for my plex mac mini server.
    Need to it be quiet (it's in the bedroom)/reliable/3-5TB's and obviously USB 3.0 lol.

many thanks !

2. tampatom macrumors newbie

Build your own

I buy fanless enclosures from Other World Computing then put in Western Digital GREEN drives . They are quiet and cool and I think they come in sizes up to 5 TB.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

What is funny about your requirement for USB 3? Why are you "Laughing out Loud"

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

Why obviously?

USB2 is more than capable of simultaneously handling 3-5 straight blu-ray rips. depending on the bit-rate of the movies.

apart from the initial load-on of the files, you won't see much gain by using USB3. and if you're downloading off the net, you won't see any difference.

granted the price premium for USB3 over 2 is rapidly disappearing and almost non-existent. so there's really no reason to not get 3.

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I always get USB 3 instead of USB 2 because it is similar but allows full speed access to the drive. If it is USB 2 enclosure then you are limited to only 30MByte/s even if the drive can go up to 100Mbyte/s. I don't like that.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Yeah, and I don't like that. You wait for the file to load, then it lags if you try to skip through it. I keep my media on a USB 3.0 drive that clocks around 170 MB/sec. Everything is connected with gigabit ethernet which supports over 100 MB/sec data transfer.

That way, the only bottleneck is the Apple TV itself. I just use iTunes though, not plex, so maybe that makes a difference. :)

7. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

Don't forget about speed of transferring/copying files to other drives or backups. While there is probably not a frequent need USB3 makes a huge difference. In 2015 I see no good reason to purchase USB2 hardware.

8. ea9 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly.

Fudge I seriously can't understand why some people take the time to get caught up on a little lol I dropped in the middle of an entire post. It's so irrelevant.

USB3 is everywhere, even if I have to transfer 20GBs ONCE then the 5-15$ extra will have been worth it.

That's why 'lol'. Sometimes I wonder in humanity.
    If you have nothing to say just don't say it.

The first guy that commented, I decided to just ignore but then another with a similar comment and somehow now this is what the thread is about.

Never mind guys, I'll just read reviews on Amazon. Thanks to those that actually tried to help.

/thread