External hard drive recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gsusser, Oct 27, 2013.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

I need something fairly basic to back up my entire hard drive every day. My old drive died. It needs to be 2tb and it will be daisy chained to another external drive which does time machine backups. I have a 2+ year old iMac and use super duper for backups. Thanks.

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Are you looking for a BUS powered one or one just to sit on a desk? I use a WD passport and its pretty nice.. If it just sits on the desk, I would go for a MyBook by WD as it looks pretty nice :p Or even a LaCie Little Big Disk...

3. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

I'm glad you pointed the bus drive out. Is there any disadvantage to getting one? The less cables the better.

As for WD, it gets a bad rap in most reviews. However, I've owned them before and never really had a problem. On the contrary, when one died after over a year, they replaced it with no questions.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Every drive I own is a WD, except for the stock drive in my MBP and the SSD in my desktop. My support experiences have been great. I had a failure in my desktop that took out the system board and THREE WD drives. All were replaced no question.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I like the WD My Passport models. You can find them everywhere and they are reasonably priced. Also, WD has a Mac firmware updater.

The advantage of the non-bus powered drives is having their own power supply allows the use of 7200 RPM full size drives, so they do tend to be a bit faster. But just for backup purposes, a bus powered drive is fine.