External hard drive recommendations for Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rrandyy, Jul 23, 2012.

1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

I've done some searching, but have not found any recent suggestions. I want to backup my macbook so that I can reformat it. I also want to maintain incremental backups after the reformat, wirelessly.

I do not want a "build your own" solution of enclosure+HD. I'm looking for a plug-and-play (pardon the pun) external hard drive.

Any suggestions are welcomed. The hard drive will likely end up sitting under my TV next to the router, so an enclosure that matches the router is a plus, but not a requirement. Low noise and high dependability are my priorities.

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All platter-based hard drives are the same in terms of reliability. Buy the one that has the best warranty for your budget and size requirements.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

I love Western Digital hard drives and would always recommend them. I have owned 7 of them(including the ones installed in my and my wife's iMacs) and they have never let me down.

Best Buy has some deals on externals that would be fine and anything that has usb will work. Don't worry about the MyBook editions that are "Mac formatted" because you can format it yourself and save money.

Navigate to www.westerndigital.com and you can compare their hard drives to see what suits your needs the best and it will also have all the warranty information as well.

4. jkeekij macrumors regular

I use the Western Digital WBDAAU0010HBK without issue on the AEBS. It is silent and works flawlessly for Time Machine.

5. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502