External Hard Drive Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alibis, Aug 8, 2012.

1. alibis macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend an external ssd that won't break the bank? I just purchased a 2012 MBA 256GB i7 8GB and I'm loving it so far! I use it mainly for work (word processing, spreadsheets, etc) and I'm trying to keep it clutter-free.

I would like to occasionally take some of my media with me when I go out on the weekends, though. My iTunes library is around 20GB and I have about 300GB of movies on my desktop (early 2008 24" iMac). I have a 3 year old 1TB WD mybook that's still going strong, but it's really slow to spin up (10-15 seconds).

Are there better options out there? Ideally, I'm looking for an external that can fit most of my movies and all of my music.

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

You're looking at $200 give or take $20 for a 256GB SSD would give you over half of your movies + music.

A 360GB (ForceGT), $300+ but doesn't give you much room to grow.

480GB around $400.

and you could pick up an aluminum USB 3 2.5 (internal SATA3) external enclosure for around $25.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Is there any particular reason why you're looking for an external SSD? 320 GBs of data is not a huge number and a USB 3 mechanical hard drive would be a much more economical solution that wouldn't slow you down much when copying back and forth. I would look at something like 2.5" Seagate goflex solutions. You can get a 1 TB drive with USB 3 for the equivalent of a couple of rounds of drinks. None of the 2.5" external drives that I own take that long to spin up.

4. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger