External Hard Drive Recommendations

alibis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Can anyone recommend an external ssd that won't break the bank? I just purchased a 2012 MBA 256GB i7 8GB and I'm loving it so far! I use it mainly for work (word processing, spreadsheets, etc) and I'm trying to keep it clutter-free.

I would like to occasionally take some of my media with me when I go out on the weekends, though. My iTunes library is around 20GB and I have about 300GB of movies on my desktop (early 2008 24" iMac). I have a 3 year old 1TB WD mybook that's still going strong, but it's really slow to spin up (10-15 seconds).

Are there better options out there? Ideally, I'm looking for an external that can fit most of my movies and all of my music.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
You're looking at $200 give or take $20 for a 256GB SSD would give you over half of your movies + music.

A 360GB (ForceGT), $300+ but doesn't give you much room to grow.

480GB around $400.

and you could pick up an aluminum USB 3 2.5 (internal SATA3) external enclosure for around $25.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Can anyone recommend an external ssd that won't break the bank? I just purchased a 2012 MBA 256GB i7 8GB and I'm loving it so far! I use it mainly for work (word processing, spreadsheets, etc) and I'm trying to keep it clutter-free.

I would like to occasionally take some of my media with me when I go out on the weekends, though. My iTunes library is around 20GB and I have about 300GB of movies on my desktop (early 2008 24" iMac). I have a 3 year old 1TB WD mybook that's still going strong, but it's really slow to spin up (10-15 seconds).

Are there better options out there? Ideally, I'm looking for an external that can fit most of my movies and all of my music.
Is there any particular reason why you're looking for an external SSD? 320 GBs of data is not a huge number and a USB 3 mechanical hard drive would be a much more economical solution that wouldn't slow you down much when copying back and forth. I would look at something like 2.5" Seagate goflex solutions. You can get a 1 TB drive with USB 3 for the equivalent of a couple of rounds of drinks. None of the 2.5" external drives that I own take that long to spin up.