External Hard Drive Recommendations?

benjamwes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2013
UK
I may be looking at getting an external hard drive soon so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I am looking for a cheap 1TB hard drive to back up my new iMac to (when I get one :D) and also one to save videos and Adobe Premiere / After Effects files to.

Thanks for any advice! :)

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I may be looking at getting an external hard drive soon so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I am looking for a cheap 1TB hard drive to back up my new iMac to (when I get one :D) and also one to save videos and Adobe Premiere / After Effects files to.

Thanks for any advice! :)

:apple::apple::apple::apple:
EHD's are like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you are storing important data then you risk losing it without a good backup plan. IMHO I'd recommend quality within reason. I'd recommend OWC (www.macsales.com) Mercury Elite Pro series.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use G-Technology drives. They are not cheap though. I would not suggest going with the cheapest drives if you value your data. I use my external drives in conjunction with Carbon Copy Cloner. This then allows me to boot from my external drive should my internal drive fail. A cheap solution is a risky thing in my opinion.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Costco sells 2 TB WD Mybooks for about $90. I'm happy with it as a backup disk. It's just for time machine, so I don't care that it's slow. Although, in the last 6 months or so, they've been selling USB 3.0 versions. Mine's only 2.0.

benjamwes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2013
UK
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try to get the best I can but I'm on a very low budget so I guess a cheap backup is better than no backup!
:p