External Hard Drive recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jjk454ss, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I have a 3TB Seagate USB 3.0 HDD now. I'm looking to get another drive to mirror everything, or at least iPhoto and iTunes files. I am only using just over 1TB for these now, less than 1.5TB for all my files. I do plan on adding movies somewhat regularly, so wouldn't mind going larger.

First question, is Thunderbolt worth it at this point? If use it as my main storage then, and mirror everything to my Seagate that I have now for backup. I can get a refurbished Thunderbolt 3TB Lacie d2 for $160 from MacMall. Just don't know if Thunderbolt is really worth it or not.

Any other suggestions on a drive? I'd like to buy from Amazon since I've got a large gift card balance I could use, but want the best deal either way.

Recommendations on a good enclosure? If that's a good way to go. There's so many brands, some cheap and some expensive.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Worth is subjective. When you say mirror are you planning to use the Mac OS to construct the RAID1 and mirror real time? or are you planning to use something like CCC to periodically backup one drive to the other? If you plan to RAID, you should use the same size drives.

USB3 is full of issues, but if you don't run across them its not much of a worry.

Since I've been moving from USB3 to thunderbolt my life has been happier.

Perhaps overkill for you, but I put drives into a OWC Thunderbay 4 bay enclosure and use disk utility to RAID them as I desire. It just works (they are available on amazon). I think there are a few two bay thunderbolt enclosures about, but not sure if you can buy them without drives. But then I do enjoy the TB throughput and convenience.

For your purpose, which is not that performance oriented, USB3 drives could work well and will cost less $$. My USB3 WD element and Seagate backup plusses seem to be solid. My Hitachi and MacAlley have been nothing but trouble, mostly with disconnects or boot issues. If you want more than a year drive warranty, you probably need to buy bare drive and install them in an enclosure.

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I suggest you don't get WD Element drives or similar. The hard disk drive inside is natively USB 3 so you cannot swap it with a computer or multi-bay enclosure. The best, IMO, is to get your own HDD and enclosure. If you get one already in an enclosure, the enclosure would not be designed to be opened, and you may damage it if you open it.

4. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Lacie d2 Thunderbolt. It sounds like I can change the drive in it without any trouble. And it's less than an enclosure by itself and gets good reviews. Should have it Thursday.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Anyone have a Lacie D2? I might be doing something stupid, it is late:D, but the stand doesn't slide into the hard drive case like I think it's supposed to. Not a great pic but here is what I'm trying to do:

[​IMG]

6. brentmore, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I had one many years ago, but I remember there being hex screws on the underside if the stand that are adjustable. Try to loosen the screws to give it enough clearance to slide into the main body.

7. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I see now, thank you. I thought those hex screws were used after you slide the stand into the groove. They are, but you have to loosen the screws first so you separate that silver piece from the stand.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

wow you really stripped those screws badly :eek:

9. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

LaCie BladeRunner

I bought a LaCie BladeRunner a couple of years ago when they first came out, the 4TB model, and it's been great.

I have used it on my daughter's 2012 MacBook Air, on my 2009 iMac 24, and on my late 2013 rMBP without issues.

10. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'm going to have to look, but I think that's just the picture. I never touched those screws, so I think they are fine, if not they came that way. But I'm pretty sure it's the pic or I think I would have noticed.

Good to hear, I've heard good things about Lacie.