External Hard Drive recovery

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macbook Pro 3.1, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Macbook Pro 3.1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a huge problem, that needs to fixed asap!
    I have a Macbook Pro 10.4.11, 2.4 GHz Intel processor. I have an external LaCie 320gb hard drive, it slipped and once I re-connected it to the mac, the mac doesn't recognize it although the external seems to be working properly (light is on and it's silent)...I have done a disk utility check, and it still doesn't recognize it. I have done a fireware update, that also didn't work....

Can anyone help....please!

Thank you,
    Sarah
    :confused:

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You need to determine if the drive's damaged, or if it's the controller in the enclosure. The only way to do that is to pull the drive and put it in another enclosure or use a Universal Drive Adapter (e.g., NewerTech's).

3. Macbook Pro 3.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I checked the external on another computer but I can't be sure that it's not the computer itself (I connected it before the fall to this PC and it didn't read the external either), so I will check on another mac and let you know what the result is.

Thanks for now,
    Sarah

4. rheyab macrumors newbie

Lost files on external hard drive need recovering

Hi
    I recently made a mistake when backing up my computer onto a WD external hard drive and replaced over files I still need. I have heard that there are software packages that can help me recover these, but I don't know what or where to look for them. I would be really grateful for any help or advice someone may have, be it the name of a package / website.

Thanks

PS I have never used a forum before so sorry if I've put this in the wrong place :s

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

For Macs, the gold standard is Data Rescue II (US$100).

6. rheyab macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! It's worked brilliantly.
    Thank you

7. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Thank you - I had been looking for a device just like this. I got it today and it works great. It does tell you (and is fairly obvious given the setup) that it is a temporary solution.