External Hard Drive Recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hasek3139, Apr 21, 2009.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

My 500GB WD External Hard drive was dropped form a five foot fall.

i need to know how to recover the information on it, like my movies and what not.

When i Plug it in , it still powers up and runs, and I do hear spinning.

And I do see it on my desktop, but when I click on it nothing happens.

soooooooo what do I do?:eek:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Data Rescue II (http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php) might help.

It scans the hard drive for lost files and can recover them, unless the physical damage is irrecoverable.
    But as you still can see the drive on your Desktop, there might be a chance.

Have you tried repairing the drive with Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities)?
    [​IMG]
    The image above shows "repairing Permissions". Maybe that might help too.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If it was damaged in the fall, there is probably no way to recover data - except by professional services ... and those are expensive.

4. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i dont want to do that lol

ill try the thing the 1st guy said, unless anyone else has a program that will work

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Wait, wait, wait!!!

It's possible that the controller is damaged but the drive could be fine. Before spending that kind of money, you need to pull the drive, disconnect it from the controller and then connect it to your Mac using another enclosure or a Universal Drive Adapter. If after this it appears damaged, then proceed to drive recovery (which may not work anyway).

6. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah no matter what im not paying hundreds of dollars for someone to recover ****, its juts movies and music i can re download, but obv its faster if i can recover it.

so if anyone else knows of any freeware that does that or something of the sort, let me know

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No freeware. If the heads have crashed into or damaged the platters, or if the controller is busted, no software can help.

I think you might have to chalk this one up as a lesson learned - always backup your data.

8. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol well technically, that WAS my backup it was my external hard drive i backed up my stuff on lol

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Testdisk/Photorec are very good for data recovery, and are free.

Data Rescue 2 has a friendlier interface.

10. ramella macrumors newbie

mac data recovery services

Since your hard drive has been dropped from five so it may be the case of physical damaged.You can recover your data with the help of Stellar mac data recovery services.For more details visit
    http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/mac-recovery-services.php

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Obviously you missed this....