External Hard Drive Sharing Over A Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smokuspolutus, Jun 14, 2012.

1. smokuspolutus macrumors newbie

Please forgive me if this isn't in the right location, but this is my first post here and I'm still trying to figure out how this works.

I manage a small computer lab at my school consisting of about 16 computers. Recently, I have set up a 3tb Western Digital hard drive, so students can use whatever computer is easiest for them to get to/use. One of the computers has the external hard drive attached to it by USB (this computer is called "Mac 1). Permissions are set so that all users can read & write That computer is then in turn, connected to the school's wireless network. From there, students connect to Mac 1 wirelessly to get work that they saved to the drive, and they save their work to the external disk.

This system works fine for a small amount of students. But, in a large class, only 3-4 people are able to access the drive before it refuses to accept any more incoming requests.

I'd like to know if there is any way to set the drive so that it will accept more than just 3-4 people at a time. Thank you.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Any chance you can network the computer that has the shared drive by wire?

You're making your job harder by having the wireless network bandwidth shared by both traffic from the "client" and the "server".

B

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. smokuspolutus, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

smokuspolutus thread starter macrumors newbie

I never thought of that! I'll check it out, but it might put the computer on a different network than all of the other computers.

Unfortunately, NAS is not an option.