Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Hi All,

I recently got a 3TB external seagate backup plus hard drive and it is pretty loud while it is running. It takes 10 minutes to spin down by default when not in use, but it is loud so I would like to change it to 2 or 3 minutes. I can't seem to find a way to do this and need some help. is there a third party application that would allow me to do this. I found out that within the Xcode developer tools there is an app called SpindownHD, but i can't seem to find it within the application and am not even sure if it comes with the current version of Xcode. So does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Yeah. Use WD Green or Red drives. Fast, silent, cool & efficient.

This is not that helpful since I already have the hard drive and like it except for how long it takes to spin down.
There has to be someone that knows how to solve this. Anyone?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is not that helpful since I already have the hard drive and like it except for how long it takes to spin down.
There has to be someone that knows how to solve this. Anyone?

Spin down and autopark are part of the drives firmware...Your only option is to check on Seagates site and see if there is a way of changing them...I doubt it though.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a Seagate TB external... and it came preloaded with some utilities that I deleted. It let you control a few things like lights on the drive. It *MIGHT* have controls for spin down. Check the website.

That may in fact be quite helpful advice. If you cannot find a utility... you might find that selling your current drive and buying one with the features that you want is quite inexpensive.

/Jim

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I have a Seagate TB external... and it came preloaded with some utilities that I deleted. It let you control a few things like lights on the drive. It *MIGHT* have controls for spin down. Check the website.
/Jim

I already had the software from seagate installed and there should have been an option for the spin down time but it wouldn't show up on mine. I think it may have been because when I first got the drive it asked me to format it only for Mac or for Mac and pc and I went for the only Mac. I ended up uninstalling the seagate software maybe I should reinstall it and call seagate on Monday and find out why the option wasn't showing up. I though that there may be another way to adjust the spin down time with a third party application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.