External hard drive suddenly unformatted!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WiLLGT09, Oct 13, 2011.

1. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

So, I may have a bit of a problem. I have a 2TB LaCie Hard Disk (the shiny black one) that I use at work. It's sits on my desk and never gets moved or anything. It was working fine yesterday, even after updating to 10.7.2 and everything was fine.

I come in this morning, and I plug in my hard drives - I daisy chain another 500GB portable FW drive into this LaCie disk. The portable HD showed up on my desktop with no problem, but the 2TB one did not. Odd. I unmounted everything and just plugged in the LaCie and turned it on.

I get the message popup that this disk is not readable by the system and needs to be initialized! WTF! I have a boat of work files, mainly old video projects and raw video footage that I've moved over from the 500GB drive. Some of the data is on a server, but not all of it (it's takes forever to put stuff on the server - the network at work is crap)

Is there anything I can do? I've tried different cables. Nothing. Is data recovery software or service the next step?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. WiLLGT09 thread starter macrumors regular

WiLLGT09