External Hard Drive Suggestion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amnak, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Hey i need a suggestion on an external hard drive. The only ones I know of are the Western Digital. I'm on a budget so what's a cheap one thats not going to die on me? Thanks in advanced.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is all personal preferences... everyone has their own experience
    The truth is all hard drives die, some sooner than others, and nobody can predict when

I use a WD MyBook 1 TB FW800 and have had good success with it
    Your mileage may vary

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

@spinnerlys
    yes i did.
    well id love a 1Tb External but those are pricey.
    Budget trying not to go over 100

Now if i do go over budget would i be unwise to future proof my self with usb 3.0 as far as an extra 99$.

5. apatel87 macrumors regular

I am ppretty sure you get a 1 TB external for well under a $100 if you are a smart shopper. I bought the Western Digital MyBook Mac Edition 1 TB for $64.99 from Best Buy about 7 months ago. Today I bought the 2 TB Western Digital MyBook Mirrow Edition for $143 shipped. Hard drives are cheap and you just need to look around. Btw, here is the deal that I bought : http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1913468

6. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow thanks i thought best buy was going to be overpriced but i just got a 10% coupon so that brings the price down even further then online. :)

7. KevKaos macrumors 6502

I just bought a 1TB Iomega external from Amazon for $96. It is due to arrive tomorrow. I am trusting Iomega because my wife has an 8 year old Iomega external drive that is still plugging along and never had any problems. Like you, I was trying to maintain a budget since I just bought the iMac and needed an external drive for backups.