external hard drive suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jfoley89, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jfoley89 macrumors regular

Ok so i'm looking at setting up a home sharing network, Mac Mini + 2 external hard drives to hold the iTunes library and a backup of my iTunes library.

I'm looking for suggestions for external hard drives, I would like something that matches the aesthetics of a Mac Mini (I'm one of those people who likes things to match) so brushed aluminium and not too pricey as I need 2 of them and will be getting more of them when I setup my file.

I've been looking at the WD My Book Studio 3TB as its a reasonable price. Any complains about this product or the brand WD?

thanks in advance

2. danny_w macrumors 601

I just recently went through this same exercise and ended up buying an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual Thunderbolt with 4TB (2x2TB) that I will run in RAID 0 because I wanted fast direct storage, and will use an existing disk for backup; I have my iTunes library on external as well. However this option is quite pricey (actually not bad for what you get but overkill probably for what you want). If I had not gone for a RAID array I probably would have gotten the OWC Mercury Elite Pro 3TB or 4TB stand-alone drive (2 if you need a backup); as a matter of fact I had one in my basket but changed my mind at the last minute. I looked at the LaCie 2big and d2 but they are plain ugly (to me at least).

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

I have had WD externals in the past and while they are serviceable drives they are minimalist; you get what you pay for with these drives. I would spend the extra and get one of OWC's offerings (or LaCie if you like them) but stay away from the big box store offerings like WD and Seagate externals. I think most (if not all) of the current WD lineup uses hardware encryption, so if your case/electronics goes out you can't recover your data by putting the drive into another case; I think somebody else on this forum just ran into this issue.

3. ColdCase, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Some outfit, I think OWC, sells so called stackers... they look just like the mini only they house hard drives.

Foe example:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack

I think you can still get the Seagate Backup Plus in silver. ~$150 for 4TB USB3, $110 for 3TB. I have a few of them and they seem to work well.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I thought about getting a couple of miniStacks and raining them together until I read how loud they are. No thanks.

5. jfoley89 thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet thanks people. Will look into these for sure, love the fact they match so well and will save a bunch of space, never even heard of them until now.