Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Absolute Zero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2004
Massachusetts
Hi there!

I have a 12" PowerBook and the internal hard drive recently kicked the bucket. Apple wont cover the repair, yadda yadda... long story.

I'd love to buy a new machine, but I don't have the money to do so (and I don't have the $1200 Apple wants to repair my PowerBook...)

So I've figured out a temporary solution: boot off of an external drive for the time being. I need to buy an external drive anyway to back up my data (Time Machine is right around the corner!)

But I've heard that external hard drives can act funky if you use them as a boot drive for a while, and I don't want that to happen.

USB 2.0 and Firewire 400, 250 GB or more is what I'm looking for. I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you're going to need a FW drive to be able to boot off of it. i did this for a at least six months off of my powerbook when the drive died on me. worked without a problem. you just lose your portability.

you could always buy your own drive and enclosure and put it together yourself.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Build Your Own For Radically Less Money

you're going to need a FW drive to be able to boot off of it. i did this for a at least six months off of my powerbook when the drive died on me. worked without a problem. you just lose your portability.

you could always buy your own drive and enclosure and put it together yourself.
I agree with this. You can buy a 400GB HD at Fry's sales for $100 and an enclosure for $40. It's easy peezy to put them together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.