External Hard Drive Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ayeplussjr, Jan 10, 2009.

1. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

Do you guys have any suggestions on an external hard drive? I don't want to spend the money on an overpriced time capsule. I already have a Wireless-N Router so no need for the capsule. I'm looking for a good hard drive.

I've read reviews on the WD My Book, and the Seagate's, but both devices have mixed reviews using them on the iMac. Any suggestions? My brother has used both the WD My Book's and the Seagate's and they both died on him.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

2. GregE macrumors 6502

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If both WD and SeaGate failed, then try Hitachi. That's the next best in the HD maker lineup. Fujitsu is also a good contender.

4. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

I have used both WD Mybook and the Seagate. I ended up with the Seagate-Pro cause I can use eSATA, USB or Firewire. been working for 4 years now and I take it everywhere.

The Mybooks turned me off cause Google was bundled with it. I have a problem with Googles practice of giving information on its user's. Thats just me.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

owc (macsales above) sell good bare cases. I usually find the drives cheaper on newegg. Make sure you get a case that fits your needs. I got one from owc that had multiple firewire (3) and usb 2 ports (4) and it helps with daisychaining or extra peripherals.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have a Seagate and a WD MyBook- no problems with either. As a matter of fact, you can get great deals on eBay for refurb WDs. I paid 80 bucks for a 500 GB drive. The 1TB seem to go for around $140.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I just bought an Icy Dock FW800 enclosure and popped in a Seagate 1.5TB HDD. The Icy Dock enclosure is awesome. It matches my aluminum iMac's design and is cool and next to silent.

8. Espionage32 macrumors regular

9. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I've used 3 or 5 WD in the past with no ill effect. I got a 500 gig WD My Book because it was both USB and Firewire 400, which is as fast as my Mini can go. I've had it almost a year with no problems, but ymmv.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

buy a MacPower external case, there are many different configurations. put your own HD in it and you are laughing.

11. MacAgent84 macrumors member

I have had nothing but good experience with both Western Digital and Seagate. But, perhaps for the sake of avoiding both brands, you might consider Samsung. I have had two Samsung HDDs and they performed wonderfully.

12. loslosbaby macrumors member

External Hard Drive Happiness Zone Activate

We've got several of drive enclosures and "sleds" from these guys:

http://www.wiebetech.com/home.php

...they're in the USA, they are totally honest about shipping and are knowledgeable about not only their stuff, but drives in general. I think they're a little drive-nutty!

(no affiliation, just a happy customer etc.)

G.

13. johnsy macrumors 6502

I am thinking about purchasing one of these. Is this hard drive silent? Fan works all the time or just when it gets hot?