Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuyOnTheCouch22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Long Island
I don't know much about external hard drives at all but i remember i got one 2 summers ago when i got my original MBP and i would have format it differently to use on my MBP and then format it again to use on my windows pc.

I really don't use windows anymore but i have a lot of tv episodes on my old pc and some music that i want to get on an external hard drive to use on a pc or mac. Is this possible? Any help/advice or information would be helpful

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Pretty much any drive formatted to FAT32 will be read/write on both OSes. Sounds like you were using HFS+ (Mac) and NTFS (Windows) previously. Both are better than FAT32, but if you want interoperability FAT32 is the easiest...

GuyOnTheCouch22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Long Island
excellent so i can format it fat 32 get all the files off my pc that i want, transfer them to my mac. then ill format it to the better version and put all the stuff from the mac back onto the external because i really just want to get it off the pc for future use on the mac i don't need to be transferring things back and forth.

thanks for the help.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the drive itself, it's what filesystem the drive is formatted with. A drive that comes preformatted as, say, FAT32, could be reformatted to be HFS+ or NTFS, or vice versa.

As far as interoperability goes: FAT32 is the simplest approach, although it's not without issues (one common one is inability to store a single file larger than 2GB in size). You'll run into a problem formatting a volume larger than 32GB in size as FAT32 in Windows-- this is a software limitation in Microsoft's tools likely in place to force users to migrate to NTFS. OS X should be able to create a larger-than-32GB FAT32 volume without any complaints.

Alternatively, you can install a filesystem driver in either Windows (for HFS+ support) or OS X (for NTFS support). I use NTFS-3g on OS X, and it seems to work pretty well.

Also, if you use Time Machine, note that it will only work with a HFS+-formatted volume; on my external drive, I have a HFS+ partition (for TM) and a NTFS partition (for Windows).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.