External Hard drive that goes to sleep Completely?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BulletToothTony, Apr 20, 2009.

1. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

Hey guys.. i have a LaCie quadra2 500gb external hdd Connected thru firewire 800.

As I've read in many threads there's no way to turn off the blue light, even when my iMac is off or sleep, and even thou the hdd is (or might) be asleep, the light always stays on... over all this is not a huge deal, but since the imac is in my room sometimes the light it's a little annoying.

I was wondering if anyone here has an external hard drive that goes to sleep and even the lights turn off completely..

Specially if it's a famous brand.. like WD or anything along those lines.. since I'm looking to upgrade my external HDD i figured it's a good to know.. otherwise i'm going to just upgrade to the 1tb Lacie..

I'm considering the 1tb "My Book" because even thou I read that the 500gb had a lot of issues apparently the 1tb one is a lot better.. has anyone has had this drive? Any issues?

How about the IOmega? thanks in advance! :)

2. JeffMonty macrumors member

3. BulletToothTony thread starter macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

thanks.. that's good to know that it cuts power thru usb.. but I'm hoping to stay with firewire 800... the difference in speed is incredible.. specially now that i upgraded my hdd to a Caviar Black.. i can copy 2gb in about 25 seconds.. it's great..

Thanks for your tip thou.. :)