External Hard Drive / Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlakeBrattina, Jan 17, 2012.

1. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Hi Everyone,

Not to sure if this will get moved but I believe this would be the correct place.

My situation is:

I am using a 320GB External Hard Drive to back up my MBP using Time Machine. I essentially put two things on the EHD, my Time Machine back-ups and a seperate folder for Movies - Some of these movies are still on my MBP, and some are not, which is why I wanted to put them on the external to save for later use if I wanted to.

My question is:

I believe I am using space where it is not needed, as I may be duplicating these files? I am not fully understanding of the capabilities of Time Machine perhaps..

Any advice would be much appreciated, as I am out of room on my ExternalHD:apple:

2. belvdr macrumors 603

In the Time Machine preference pane, under Options, you can exclude folders. Put the duplicate movies in a specific folder and exclude it.

Also, I'd have your movies that exist only on the external hard drive backed up somewhere, if you are concerned about losing them.

3. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have a portable 500 GB external hard drive partitioned to use for Time Machine and for photos. I also take it with me when I travel with my Macbook.

I also have an 1.5 TB external hard drive with four partitions - 1 for a Hard Drive Copy using SuperDuper, and another for photos and other data including movies (also using SuperDuper). Two partitions are empty. I do a backup of my Macbook hard drive and Photos and Data using SD about every other day. My MB only has a 160 GB hard drive, so I only keep photos (about 3 months) that I am working on there. Older ones are on the backups.

I use both Time Machine and SuperDuper as I have problems with permissions and SD repairs them with each backup.

Hope you are not too confused.

4. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you both for your help. It's shaping up that I will need an additional HD for simply movies, as the file size can build up quick.