Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmali86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
I recently just purchased a macbook pro and am trying to convert files from my external hardrive on to my mac. My external was used with my old computer which was a dell so it was run off of windows format. I cannot afford to lose all of this information i have on here. Is there anyway i can convert these files so my MAC will read them without having to delete my files on my external.

I connect my external to my MAC and it says it doesn't read it, i believe it is in ms-dos format. Excuse if im a lil rusty on the computer talk cause im not really smart when it comes to these things. ANY HELP would be apperciated !

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Modern versions of Mac OS X can read Windows-formatted drives - both FAT32 and NTFS are supported. (FAT32 is read/write on Mac OS X, NTFS is read-only without special software). This problem can happen because of something as simple as not ejecting the drive properly on the Windows side (i.e. not using the Safely Remove Hardware option).

dmali86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Modern versions of Mac OS X can read Windows-formatted drives - both FAT32 and NTFS are supported. (FAT32 is read/write on Mac OS X, NTFS is read-only without special software). This problem can happen because of something as simple as not ejecting the drive properly on the Windows side (i.e. not using the Safely Remove Hardware option).

i do not have a PC any more so does this mean that im SOL lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.