EXternal hard drive transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MaCnation, Jul 25, 2009.

1. MaCnation macrumors newbie

I have a 1TB external hard drive I use for backing up my digital camera pics. I have been using it on my parents compaq presario. However I recently made the switch to a Mac and bought a early 2005 Power Mac g5 dual 2.0ghz with osx 10.5 on it. The question I want to know is, if I unplug the drive from the presario and plug it into the back of the g%, will the files show up or does the drive need to be reformatted?

If so i'll just back everything up and reformat it and switch the drive to my computer.

Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will show up, but it is probably formatted NTFS, so it will be read only.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It should show up as a read-only drive if it's NTFS. But you will be about to see it and read for it fine.

So if you want to continue using as you did before - but on your new Mac - then copy the files over to the mac, make sure they work 1st!, then format and put the files back on. ;)

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Copy all the pictures to your G5 first and then format/partition the drive for FAT32. That way you can continue to read/write on both your Mac and Compaq.

5. MaCnation thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. As for the Compaq, I will not be using it anymore than absolutely necessary. I am absolutely in love with the G5!