External Hard Drive: USB or NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacFanUK, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I'm looking at getting an external storage solution and could do with some advice.

I want something that can hold 2 drives minimum and I've narrowed it down to 2 pretty different options.

First, we have the IcyBox NAS4220 which is £105(ish) but as well as being a NAS hard drive, it has an itunes server, FTP server, Bittorrent server, etc all built in.

Second, we have the IcyBox IB-3218StU which isn't a NAS (only USB), but it does have JBOD (which the NAS does also) so I can access both hard drives seperately through a single USB cable.

What are the transfer speeds like on a NAS (typically)?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I will use the Nas features (mainly accessing it on more than one computer) which I may do, but I'm under the impression I can share any drive anyway, regardless of whether it's connected to a router or a Mac? I guess the only real difference is the I wouldn't have to let my computer on with a NAS.

Anyway, which would you go for?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well if you're really into downloading/seeding bittorrents then its a no brainer.

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I don't know which one I would go for maybe the NAS? though you may want to think about building your own NAS it also makes a fun project! :) at any rate about transfer speeds.... If your NAS has a 10/100/1000 network card and your router/computer supports those speeds then it should theoretically be faster then even Firewire 800. but if you only have 10/100 connections then expect slower then usb speeds

4. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Very rarely download torrents to be honest and even when I do, I only download 2MB-20MB files that would be free anyway.

I did read that it is 10/100/1000 but I don't know if my router is that speed.

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Typically? Slow, but fast enough to stream mp3:s and video files from to one or possibly two computers.

Most cheap NAS are vastly underpowered for the task, a computer sharing an USB drive is generally much much faster. If you go for a cheap NAS, do it for the convenience/features, not because you expect stellar performance.