External Hard Drive wont mount

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ThatNukkaMoe, Jun 4, 2011.

1. ThatNukkaMoe macrumors newbie

I have a Western Digital My Passport 700GB External Hard Drive that won’t mount into my 13" MBP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 2010 (Snow Leopard 10.6.6). I have been using this External Hard Drive for months now, and today it decided not to work. The HD is formatted in FAT 32 and the HD works. (I plugged into my work computer, Windows XP SP3, and I can watch the movies, copy and paste, and delete anything on the HD.)

So I tried some Troubleshooting steps:

Restart MBP, and tried a different USB cable. (By the way, the cable is approximately 6”).

Tried a different USB Port and tried to re-mount in Disk Utilities. It says “The Disk ‘movie drive’ could not be mounted. Try running First Aid…” So I tried First Aid, “Disk Utility can’t repair this disk…”

Tried ls /dev |grep disk then mount /dev/disk1s1. Didn’t work
    Then diskutil list then diskutil mount /dev/disk1. Didn’t work either.

Reset the PRAM and the SMC, no luck.

So back to the Windows computer, I did a Disk volume check on the HD, and found no problems.

Another issue is no one around me owns a Mac computer/laptop.
    What should I do from here? I can’t put all the movie files into the work computer and reformat the hard drive due to work policy and (Work computer HD being 80GB). Is there another way to mount the HD into my MBP? This is the second time, and the first time I had to Re-format the whole drive which lost all my Movie collection on my HD. (Takes forever and not willing to do that again.)
    :mad:

2. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

I would try to find a way to move your movies off of the external and reformat it to FAT 32 using Mac OS X Disk Utility (it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes max to format, if it takes longer than that, something is wrong). You may have some proprietary crap that hard drive manufacturers like to load on their drives.