External Hard drive won't mount.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cc44bluez, Oct 16, 2011.

1. cc44bluez macrumors newbie

I have had an external hard drive connected to my macbook pro for a year. Suddenly it won't mount on my desktop? I have also tried mounting using Windows 7... nothing? I'm pretty sure the hard drive is still alive... any thoughts????

Thanks,

Charles

2. simsaladimbamba

3. cc44bluez thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

5. cc44bluez thread starter macrumors newbie

With the trial version of Disk Drill I can see the info sitting on the hard drive.

----------

I haven't tried the SMC.

6. dampfdruck macrumors member

What do you see in the log file when you connect the drive?

7. cc44bluez thread starter macrumors newbie

When I plug the drive in it asks me if I want to initialize or ignore. Like I said... with the trial version of disk drill I can see all my folders sitting on the drive.

----------

I'm sure the drive is not dead.... thinking something has been corrupted?

----------

maybe a permissions issue?????

8. mjenks macrumors newbie

Data-Eating OS Lion!!!

I'm having the exact same problem, except my external hard drive (500GB eGo iOmega) was mounted on an iBook. My brand new MacBook Pro arrived and worked like a charm with the external drive. Five hours later, iTunes crashed, iPhoto crashed, Finder crashed, the computer hard-crashed about three times.

Now the drive won't mount. I can see my folder hierarchy and was able to copy about 20 percent off the drive and then it crashed again. I believe 100 percent that it's a MacBook Pro/OS Lion/Time Machine issue. My belief is that those programs corrupted the drive.

I'm looking into Data Recovery now. Any advice on that front? Apple Tech Support recommended Disk Warrior--anyone have experience with it? Do I have any hope of getting the drive to remount and salvage my data? Has anyone had luck repairing corrupted drives or repairing permission issues?

Disk Utility runs on the drive but gives the error message: "Could not unmount disk. Repairing disk failed with error." Any advice, hope, or commiseration is appreciated. I guess my lesson is, especially to anyone switching to OS Lion, especially before using Time Machine: BACK UP ALL DATA BEFORE MOUNTING AN EXTERNAL DRIVE.

Should I have known that already? Yes. Too excited about a brand new shiny computer.

simsalad: Do you recommend an SMC reset for this problem? The drive shows up in Disk Utility.

cc44bluez: Please let me know if you have luck rescuing data with DiskDrill.