External Hard Drive Won't Mount

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darkpixie08, Jan 24, 2009.

1. darkpixie08 macrumors member

I have two external hard drive (500GB LaCies) that will not mount on my MacMini. The first one is connected by firewire, and the second is piggybacked onto the first. They don't show up in disk utility, but will mount just fine when I connect them to my macbook. They had been working just fine previously, I'm not sure what changed, but I would like to get them back to mounting on the mini. I tried repairing the permissions, nothing happened, any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Can you connect the second drive on its own?

What if you connect the computers with a FireWire cable and start the MacBook in Target Disk Mode? It could be your Mini's FireWire port.

3. dgarmaise macrumors member

Using firewire to transfer data

Both my iMac and my MacBookPro are less than a year old. I have transferred data from one to the other before using firewire cable 4. Now, suddenly, I cannot get it to work. I followed all the instructions. Assume for this example that I want to transfer datafrom the iMac to the laptop. I disconnected all firewire cables on both computers. I turned the iMac on. I turned the laptop off. I connected the two computers using the firewire cable. I turned on the laptop while holding the T key down. The laptop screen displays a Y. An icon appears on my iMac desktop, ostensibly representing the hard drive on the laptop. But when I click on that icon, the drive I get is the same as the hard drive on my iMac!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I think yours is a different problem. Mind starting a new thread?