External hard drive won't read anymore!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jlspalding, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jlspalding, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

jlspalding macrumors newbie

So, this problem has a little backstory.

I bought my external hard drive and formatted it as HTS+ Journaled on my Mac. Recently I decided I would try Ubuntu, but it turns out I can't even read the hard drive on Linux. I tried a couple things (like changing permissions and other various stuff, that I'm not even sure about honestly). Turns out I wasn't ready for Linux anyway, and I reinstalled Mac OS X (albeit, back to Tiger, since I don't have Leopard disks anymore).

Now I plug in my external hard drive and nothing shows up! I see it in the Disk Utility and it has two partition types, Linux, and Linux_Swap. I never partitioned the hard drive or erased it (I'm pretty sure). Maybe I got it so it can only read on Linux now? I really can't tell. I have all my photos and music on here, and I can't afford to lose them.

Edit: I did mess around with "chown" commands in Linux and changed owners. Is there a way to change it back or undo ownership?

Thanks.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Looks like you wiped the drive and installed Linux on it.

3. jlspalding thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, when I look at the hard drive properties via Ubuntu CD (noninstall) it shows that 25gb is still used, which is how much data I had on there.

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

5. jlspalding thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot, or I don't know how to. It's just strange that I can see that there is memory used up but somehow changed the format to Linux without altering any data. Seems like the data is just sitting there, wanting to be found somewhere.

6. Detrius macrumors 68000

Where can you see that? Can you post a screen shot of what's making you believe your stuff is still there?