External Hard Drive won't show up AT ALL.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wyat, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Wyat macrumors newbie

I'm sure this issue is out there.

But my Seagate 1TB EHDD will not show up at all. It's plugged in, there is power to the drive, but it will not show up inFinder, or in Disk Utility.

I had this problem a couple weeks ago, then one day, after 5 minutes of being plugged in, it randomly detected it, and then rans smoothly.

My MacBook is brand new, and my EHDD is a couple years old, but hasn't seen much use.

Does anyone know what is wrong? Is it just my external drive? Are there any sources you guys know of where I can retrieve the information from the drive?

2. ChrisMan287 macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

Is there another Mac you can try to hook it up to?

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Or do you have any other computer where you can plug it in?
    It can simply be that your HDD is dead.

4. Wyat thread starter macrumors newbie

When I plug it into my friends Mac, and another friend's PC, it doesn't show up.

On my friends Mac, Time Machine read it, but then that was it. It still wasn't in Finer or anything.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

6. Wyat thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I take it into a computer hard ware store, or a place like Best Buy and they could retrieve the data?

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have an older external 750GB seagate drive that I thought was dead, but it turns out it was just a dead A/C adapter.

8. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

I had this same problem.

I bought a 1TB Western Digital Elements drive.

I would plug it in and would get no response for 5 -10 minutes, and then it would finally read on the drive.

Im not sure if this is a Mountain Lion Issue.

But I know how to to fix it: Reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then the drive becomes responsive as soon as you plug it in.

It seems like the issue is with FAT formats that have capcities over 1TB. I basically used another drive I had to back up the 1TB, then reformatted to the Mac format and re-transferred my files back over and all was good.

Im not sure if this is a Mountain Lion issue or something thats always occurred with FAT formatted drives over 1TB.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

That would format his data...

10. myenglishispoor macrumors newbie

My external hard drive can't show up in Finder,but can show up in Disk Utility.
    Then i use Disk Utility to solve this problem.

11. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

This is why I waited for it to initialize... then copied all the data from the drive to another drive and then re-matted it and then re-copied it back over.

This is the only way I was able to get it to initialize the external drive as soon as I plugged it in.

If its not a huge deal to wait 5 minutes, then leave the drive as is. But when I had my drive formatted to FAT, I was unable to write big files to it as FAT has some sort of limitation to how big a single file can be

12. Wyat thread starter macrumors newbie

That did happen a few weeks ago. After like 5 minutes it came up, but lately it hasn't been doing that. And I read somewhere that if your hard drive is acting strangely, you don't want to keep plugging it in.

But I'll give that a shot.

I imagine going through Seagate to retrieve my data would be most secure though yes? Considering their the company with the failing product?

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Seagate most likely isn't going to retrieve your data. They offer a warranty on the drive, but the do not offer any guarantee on the data. It's up to the end user to make sure they've got a backup.