External Hard Drive Won't Show Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laughingperson5, Jun 9, 2010.

1. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

A few months ago my HP tablet pc just died on me, so that's when I decided to get a Mac. :D

Although, I needed to transfer the data and since my HP computer wouldn't get to the login screen; I was told to take out the hard drive, put it in an enclosure, and hook it up to my Macbook Pro.

I finally got around to getting an enclosure and hooked everything up. Now when I connected the hard drive to the Mac, it wouldn't show up on my desktop.

I did some searching around the internet, and there was some suggestions about the hard drive not being a "master" and I had to take out a plastic thing called a "jumper." The HP hard drive didn't have a jumper, so now I'm stumped on what to do next. :confused:

Anybody have suggestions or answers to my problem?

The hard drive enclosure I purchased was a 2.5" Rocketfish SATA HD Enclosure. aka; model RF-AHD25

I DID install Mac Fuse. Just not the driver needed to write on the hard drive, since I wasn't gonna write on it.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Do you have hard disks set to show on Desktop? If not you can set them to show by going to Finder. Go to the Finder menu in the menu bar, go to Preferences..., go the General tab, and put a check in the box in front of Hard disks under Show these items on the Desktop.

3. laughingperson5 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

AFAIK: the Master/Slave jumper thing applies to internal drives.

Could the hard drive be dead? If it is, it's probably the cause of the HP dying.

Does it show up in Disk Utility or System Profiler?

Can you try it on another Mac or even a PC?

I assume you're using USB to connect it. Does the drive power up? Does the drive have a power adapter or is it bus powered? Sometimes bus powered drives won't work on some USB ports or some Macs at all. Have you tried different USB ports? Have you tried it with the power adapter if it has one? Can you try a different USB cable? Have you checked to see if all the connections are tight?

5. laughingperson5 thread starter macrumors 6502

The hard drive doesn't show up in either programs.

And yes, I'm using a USB to connect. The drive does power up and is bus powered. I have tried both USB ports. I've tried using different cables, but they don't work.

I'll try to hook it up to a different Mac or PC and find the outcome. -sigh-

6. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

$20 says it will show up on a PC as an external drive, but not on any Mac.