External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nibuoy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. nibuoy macrumors member

2. dlholmes3 macrumors newbie

Password Protection/Encryption of External Hard Drive

I have a work laptop running windows and a personal MacBook Pro that I've been attempting to make it an easy transition to work off of when I'm not in the office and traveling. I recently purchased a 1.5TB Seagate external hard drive and want to use it to store both work (Windows Laptop) and personal (Macbook) files. For those that are using TrueCrypt, is it usual for it to take 2+ days to encrypt your external hard drive? Note that I had 200GB of data on it before I started the process.

Also.. I started on windows, meaning that I downloaded truecrypt on my windows and am encrypting my external hard drive. In order to use with my Macbook will I have to go through the same process again? Or will it be as simple as plugging it into my Mac and typing in the password I set when I set it up on my Windows-based laptop.

Thank you all for your help.

3. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

Ok I think I'll go with the OWC one.
    Also, should I use Time Machine, or some other backup program?
    If I wanted to use the HDD to both backup my computer and store media files, do I need to partition it?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine is fine. I prefer Carbon Copy Cloner, but either will work, as will others. You can certainly partition it to keep your backups separate from your other files.