External Hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knew2mack, Sep 13, 2011.

1. knew2mack macrumors regular

knew2mack

I have been using Leopard and just bought Snow Leopard (yes....I know I'm behind - we do what we can)

i'm wondering if when I back up my machine, is it an entire system back up onto the external hard drive thru Time Machine every time, or is it only what was NOT on the previous process of backing it up??

If not, is it wise, or rather, suggested that I go to the earlier systems within Time Machine and delete them?? Please understand that I am a novice when it comes to computers, so bear with me.

Also, I just received Snow Leopard - I should back everything up again before installing SL....right??

Any other suggestions?? I'm so confused~

thanks

2. session101 macrumors regular

you can do a time machine restore point and then install SL and do that, or you can manually save all your files on a flash drive or external HDD and re-format your HD, and do a clean install of Snow Leopard for best results

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just run a TM backup, install SL, then restore from the TM using the migration assistant. Create a new user account in SL, and then when you restore from the TM, Make sure to uncheck Users, and Settings...Leave Apps and Documents checked. This gave me the best results.

4. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

Unfortunately, 'time machine restore point' ; 're-format your HD' and 'do a clean install of SL for best results' - is mostly like reading a foreign language... I'm thinking that 'time machine restore point' means....well, nope, I've got nothing!! :confused:

It seems to me that I read somewhere that a flash drive wasn't recommended for saving files for this process....

Sorry y'all, but I'm still at the 'hold my hand throughout' level - it's very frustrating and I"m sure you all feel the same way, when you're trying to help me out and I'm still learning - I have learned much from these threads...HELP!!

thanks

----------

Well, I"m not gonna lie but most of what you suggested is confusing...to me! I'm still too unfamiliar & learning computers to know what you're saying.... migration assistant, I"m sure is detailed through the process but creating a new user account in SL; making sure to uncheck users and settings and 'leave apps and documents checked - I'm guessing that most of this will be self explanatory as I go through it.

I was under the impression that I could just do a TM backup, stick the SL disc in and install - then just go from there - now I'm so hesitant to do this until I hear back from you guys....I know, I know, it's got to be frustrating for you all when you try to explain this kind of stuff, basically easy stuff, to someone at my level of computer experience....

Thanks and I'm so anxious to get more explanations from you cause I am so excited to play with my new toy!!

dg

5. Chewbaca macrumors newbie

What I do in this situation is go through and remove as much of the useless files I build up over time before doing a backup.

Firstly it clears up storage space and secondly it means your backup will go a whole lot faster.

6. session101 macrumors regular

what do you have to save on a backup? if its just music/movies/papers

then just copy those specific files to a flash drive or external HD, then you can put in the SL disc and reboot your mac while holding down the option key and selecting to boot from CD

from there you can access disk utility and erase your HD and start over with a nice clean install of SL

7. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

There also is an easy way to just copy the needed files in one fell swoop. Its with a program called Carbon Copy Cloner - linked here.

when using this program you select the destination for the files in which you will be transferring, (which will be your external drive).

then you select the files you want to transfer I.E: music files, video files, important documents, pictures. etc.

wait for it to finish or you can select your whole HDD but it will take forever if you do. (safest path of least resistance IMHO)

then manually transfer back your useful files after you install SL on a freshly formatted drive. Voila you now have a fresh install with minor hassle.