external hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jennzster, Oct 8, 2011.

1. jennzster macrumors newbie

I have a toshiba external hard drive formatted as Mac OS X Extended (journaled). When it is mounted on my macbook, it takes a long time to load and I get the beach ball for about 10 minutes before anything loads. Even when everything loads up, some files open and some won't. The files that won't open gives me the "corrupted data" error. When I try to copy from the external to my macbook, I get the -36 error (files can not be read or written). When I copy certain files from my macbook to the external I also get the same error.

I absolutely cannot lose the files on my external, can someone please help me?

Any help is appreciated!

P.S. the drive was originally formated as FAT. I had the files on there for some time but then I copied the files over to my macbook, formatted the drive as Mac OS X Extended (journaled) and copied the files back onto it. I did try that "dot_clean" in terminal but it didn't do anything. I also tried to repair it but no luck either.

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you get your hands on another external HDD, which has at least enough free capacity to copy the contents of the Toshiba HDD onto?

If so: Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy of the Toshiba to that other external HDD, which has to use HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) as file system (format).

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Sounds like your HDD is on the way out. Do what simsaladimbamba recommended. Now. Do it now. Don't mount your external again until you are ready to try.

Moral of the story: always back up. Never keep any data you need on a single drive. I have two external drives. One is a backup of my internal drive. The other is a RAID1 enclosure, which means it contains two drives that are a mirror of each other. NEVER rely on a single drive to protect important data.

4. jennzster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies! I will def go get another one first thing in the morning!

simsaladimbamba, can you give me the steps on how to get my files over to the new drive though? I'd really realllllly appreciate it!

iThinkergoiMac, yes i have learned my lesson, unfortunately it had to be the hard way! I also got sending my files to my own email as a tip to back up my files too so I'll be giving that one a whirl as well.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That works, but it's extremely cumbersome. Try using Dropbox instead. You normally get 2 GB free space with it, but if you use that link we'll both get 256 MB extra space through Dropbox's referral program. Dropbox syncs with a Dropbox folder on your computer, so anything in it gets copied online. In addition, any other computer you link with your Dropbox account will get synced as well, so basically any file in your Dropbox will automatically show up on all your computers (Mac/Win/Linux). You can also use the public folder to send files that are too big to email.

It's way easy, as it just runs in the background all the time. You don't have to manually sync, it just syncs whenever there is a change. The benefit of this is that you can't email yourself anything bigger than 25 MB, but you can back up a file of any size on Dropbox.

6. jennzster thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes, I was also told about dropbox. Since it's always running in the background like you said, will it slow down my mac's performance if I had too many stuff running all at once?

7. simsaladimbamba

DropBox will not slow down your performance, only your www connection speed might suffer a bit during uploads to DropBox.

I am running DropBox for over a year now and have not experienced any slow downs, I even use it for all my screenshots I show off here.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

+1

Even when running it on my wife's old PowerBook G4 there was no hit on performance at all. If you upload a lot at once, your internet speed would take a hit but this would be true of any upload.

Try it out, it's free and way better than emailing yourself files. I used to do that for printing papers at college, but once I found Dropbox I just used that instead.

9. jennzster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! I will definitely give dropbox a try! I also just bought a new external today and will be trying simsaladimbamba's suggestions tonight. I will post the results when I am done. Hopefully my files are okay!

Thanks a million for the help and tips!

10. jennzster thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I am using carbon copy cloner. it's in the process of cloning my files over to the new external, however, i got this error message "CCC has detected a physical problem with one of your volumes." Does this mean my files are corrupted and that's the reason why my old external was acting up?
    Also, if my files ARE corrupted, is there any way to fix them? What can cause files to become corrupted (so i can avoid doing those things)?

11. jennzster thread starter macrumors newbie

I found out from that program that "This file is sitting on a bad section of hard disk media and is unrecoverable." Is there really no way to repair a bad section of an external hard drive?

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about this. You can't really fix corrupted files either. You didn't do anything to cause it, the HDD went bad. With HDDs, the question is not if they will fail but when. All HDDs will fail eventually. Some fail 1 month after you get them, others 10 years. You never know. That's why backing up is so important.

Nope. Nor on an internal HDD, FWIW. They're the same thing, just one is in an external enclosure, and the other is in your computer (and they're probably different physical sizes, but that's somewhat beside the point).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that disk it toast. I don't have time right now, but Google around for a terminal command that does a bit for bit disk image copy. Maybe someone here knows what it's called. You can try to use that to image your failing drive and might be able to recover some of the data.

13. jennzster thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll look around. Hopefully I'll be able to get something.

Again, thanks a lot for all your replies. I really appreciate it.

14. jennzster thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but I don't even know what to do with the information that you just gave me. :confused:

15. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Hahaha, it's OK. You'll be using the Terminal, which allows you to type in commands. If you've never done it before, it can be a little intimidating, but it gives you access to power that you sometimes can't access in a different way. Try following these instructions:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050302225659382

Basically, the command will copy every bit of information from your external to either a different external or a disk image. You can then try to access the information. It's possible that you'll be able to recover a significant portion of information this way. Just remember, the method outlined in the article above will create an image the size of the full capacity of the drive you're trying to recover. So if you have a 500 GB drive with 300 GB of stuff on it, it will create a 500 GB image.

16. jennzster thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes, very intimidating but I will following the link you gave me. Hopefully everything will be okay. If not I will just have to deal with losing my files and go cry in the corner haha. I will def. give dropbox a try.

Thank you so much for helping me out!