External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YJamie85, Mar 23, 2012.

1. YJamie85 macrumors member

YJamie85

I have been a Mac User on MacBook Pro 13" late 2011 for almost a month now. I was wondering what type of brand name for an external hard drive to run as Time Machine to use to backup school work, documents, pictures, etc? Thank you.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Any of the branded USB HDDs will do fine...Gdrive, Freecom, Belkin etc, all do the stand alone type of drive.

Just do a search on Amazon and you will find what you need.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Since you want to use it for time machine and depending on the amount of data you want o back up, I would recommend a drive with Firewire 800 if you can swing it. Firewire is easier on the CPU and faster on the throughout. I like the GoFlex drives by Seagate, as the connectors can be changed to address the needs for multiple systems. Little known fact by most is that the GoFlex connectors can be connected to bare Sata drives which allows for easy cloning of internal prior to exchange without the need for a special external case.

4. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

For pure Apple sexiness, I have a LaCie Porsche 500 gig external drive. Got it for like 75 bucks at Best Buy on clearance. But I agree with the other guys, any of the major drive makers will do. I also have 1TB Western Digitals and Seagates that work just fine.

5. heisenberg123, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Agreed with looking for one with FireWire 800 when I first got my MacBook pro I had a USB 2.0 external and it was fine but when I upgraded my external from 500Mb to 1TB I decided to get one with FireWire 800 and it does backups a restore noticeabley faster

here is what I currently use
    Western Digital My Studio 1TB