External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iThink Apple, Apr 9, 2012.

1. iThink Apple macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

2. simsaladimbamba

Any HDD will work, just get the one with the best warranty and depending on the importance of the data you backup maybe even an additional HDD to backup the backup HDD.
    Anyway, I have had good experiences with all the WD HDDs I had, which are mostly MyStudio Firewire HDDs.

I have one 500 GB HDD for my photographs (digital and analog) libraries and editing documents, one 500 GB HDD with my personal video footage in an editing friendly format.
    Both 500 GB HDDs get backed up to one 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
    And that 1 TB HDD gets backed up to another 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
    Therefore I have three copies of my important data.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

like Simsalad says any drive will work for Time Machine, if i can suggest look into Carbon Copy Cloner also, it makes a clone of your drive so its bootable unlike timemachine, with CCC if your internal dies/crahses you can still boot and work off the exteranl while you waiting to replace the internal

4. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Very cool TY guys!! and CCC Os REALLY good for backups?

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

awesome for backups, i dont even use time machine anymore

6. hafr macrumors 68030

If I've understood it correctly, the real difference between CCC and TM is that CCC is making a 1:1 copy of the hard drive, which means that in the case of a hard drive failure, you can use the backup to boot the computer and be back up and running in the time it takes to boot the computer from an external hard drive. So you can carry on working as if nothing had happened, whilst as a TM backup is only good as long as the internal hard drive is still operational.

So while both TM and CCC is like having a AAA membership, CCC is also keeping the spare in the trunk so you won't be stranded until help arrives...

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

great analogy

8. JFC macrumors member

Perhaps I don't understand enough about CCC, but wouldn't the biggest difference between the two be that TM will automatically make backups and will only need to copy the small differences you made since the last backup, but using CCC you manually have to make the back up, and because you copy all data on your computer it will take hours to make the backup (time would obviously depend on how much data is being copied).

Have I misunderstood CCC? Once an initial copy is made, does it only take snapshots like TM on successive backups?

9. simsaladimbamba

CCC will only copy the files, that have been modified or are new since the last backup, and it will archive the files, that have been deleted from the source.
    Thus the whole volume you backup will not get copied again and again, only the changes.

10. hafr macrumors 68030

Just to clarify: after the initial backup, CCC and TM do pretty much exactly the same thing.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Yes as these posts say it only backs up what's new/changed