external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pmtm2, Oct 7, 2015.

1. pmtm2 macrumors member

Running a late 2008 macbook with the newest OS......Been using the same external hard drive for a while now its getting beat up...so i went and got a new WD for mac , tried to drop and drag files and it will not copy files from the old one it gets to the end and it throws up the old cant find file error...What i am wanting to do is to make my new WD hard drive to replace my old one as the time machine, my muisc ,the files that are freezing up are back ups...can i just copy all my music and movies, phone back ups, photos and make the new WD HD my time machine then start a new back up.. then just put the old one up just in case. or does anyone know a faster way to transfer the data ??

2. culb0743 macrumors member

You won't be able to transfer a Time Machine image to another disk and pick up where you left off. Partition the new drive and make a new Time Machine disk on one partition and transfer all non-Time Machine from the old disk to the new non-Time Machine Partition. Do an initial back up on the partition you designated as the Time Machine Disk in Time Machine Preferences. Put the old Time Machine disk in storage for safe keeping in the case you'd ever need to access it.