External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tam1314, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Tam1314 macrumors member

Is it possible to use an external hard drive with an iPad.

2. engineerben macrumors regular

engineerben

Not the standard USB external drive. You can use a WiFi drive or one of the several Lightning flash drives available, but you'll have to use the drive's IOS application to access the files.

Probably not the answer you wanted...

3. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

No that's a good answer, I haven't decided if I need an iPad or a laptop yet.

4. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

let me answer your problem: laptop.

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

usb is client / server
    the ipad is a client
    you cant connect other clients to it
    a laptop is a server
    so it can connect other clients to it

if you want peer to peer then use apple.com/feedback and ask them to bring back firewire!!!!

6. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

I am really only going to be using the iPad/laptop for surfing and photo editing. I have a lot of photos and would like to store them on an external hard drive for security.
    Thanks for your answers so far

7. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i too thought about an extra drive or data stick. i've had so much advise about using different cloud based storage though. if you have a good internet line (which luckily i have) then this seems the best option. this is the way i'm going to try. if not, then a drive i'll purchase i suppose. but trying the cheap and easy why first before spending extra money.

8. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I use a RAVPower FileHub as a photo backup repository when traveling:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Portable-6000mAh-External-RAVPower/dp/B00T5XQE3U

Worked great on a recent week-long trip. I downloaded from my Canon's SD card to an HDD with it. Also used it for streaming video from the HDD to my Air 2 and even used it as a true wireless router at a place I stayed that only had wired Internet access.

9. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, as long as it connects to the iPad/laptop I will be happy

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

If you want to try the cloud method I believe that you have a small amount of free storage on Apple's iCloud drive when you open an account. This may give you a free method of experimentation that you might want to try.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Whats wrong with iCloud for storing documents and photo? Some apps like Pages and Word can let you store documents and Photoshop can do that same thing. I have two wireless portable hard drives to stream movies. I would recommend you try Seagate Wireless Plus they have a good app for iOS and you can access via hard drive's website on your laptop or use USB 2.0/3.0/Thunderbold cable.
    Good luck

12. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

I have heard of Seagate, will give it a look.
    Thank you

13. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I also have a Seagate wireless drive but I like/use the filehub because with it I can use any of my USB drives with it.

14. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Here is another option. I have one on order arriving next week so I don't have any real world experience. Looks like you don't have to connect via Wi-Fi to access your files or transfer them to a micro-SD card.

http://www.leefco.com/iaccess

15. sparksd macrumors 6502a

That looked so interesting that I ordered one. Much better that their USB drives that are so pricey.

16. Altis macrumors 68000

OP, why the iPad for those tasks?

Seems like for dealing with photos, you'd want to be able to access USB drives and devices (cameras, SD cards), and might be better to be able to dock it to a full size monitor and mouse for precision. Perhaps a precision stylus would be good.

In other words, MacBook or Surface would be my choice for dealing with photos and photo editing.

17. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Altis, the iPad was just really for more transportability. It looks more and more like I'm going for the MacBook Air.
    My work has just signed up to Let's Connect which allows you to buy Laptops, and pay for them from your wages

18. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

19. Altis macrumors 68000

The MacBook Air is pretty long in the tooth right now and I'm not sure I'd call it a good buy. The bezels are massive and the screen is quite dismal by today's standards.

20. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

What laptop would you suggest. It won't get a hard life as it will mostly be used with Photoshop or a similar program, Emails and some surfing.

21. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Yup, my wife's 11" MBA's screen looks about the size of an iPad now, but worse. Personally, my next whatever won't have a screen smaller then 13".

22. Altis macrumors 68000

Depends on what you want. What price, size, features, etc...

Will you be carrying it around much?

23. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

Max price would be what a MacBook Air costs.
    Photoshop, YouTube, Surfing the web and storage
    That's about it really.
    It will be used in two different homes.

24. hval macrumors member

hval

I use my iPad for storing photographs from my cameras. My current solution, which I am not happy with is as follows: -

I have bought a short lightning to USB cable that allows me to transfer photographs from my cameras which use different storage cards (CF & SD). I am happy with this part. I also have apps that allow me to edit RAW files and to upload or email to where I want.

The biggest problem is that I am often in locations where there is no WiFi, and even if I go to a location where there is WiFi, the connection is slow, or limited to the amount of data allowed to transfer. Each photo I take may be 50mb to 70 mb in size. I was at one location recently where I paid £a few hundred to upload photos via an intermittent 3G connection. That was a real pain.

The iCloud for me is often not an option due to non existent WiFi signals, poor to non existent phone signals and high data costs.

In the old days I used to use an Epson P4000 Multimedia Storage Viewer, and carry lots of memory cards. the viewer let me view files and back up. I would use the memory cards from the cameras as primary storage. This became impractical with the size of photograph file sizes.

I have not yet located a way to transfer photographs from the iPad to a storage device that will plug in to the iPad.

I do have a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro. Due to the fact that I try to travel with carry on baggage only, or try to carry all my photography gear and IT gear as carry on baggage (so that it is less likely to get damaged or stolen) I am limited in weight.

I therefore like to carry the iPad, mainly due to lightness, size, and power block size. The iPad also has software on that allows me to control cameras. The ipad also allows me to edit photos (basic editing) to show people immediately, whilst also allowing me to transfer the originals to my Mac Pro when back home.

25. Tam1314 thread starter macrumors member

Well the MacBook 12 has just been thrown into the hat