External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JimmyDThing, Aug 30, 2007.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I'm planning on taking advantage of the Time Machine when Leopard comes out. I'm going to have to partition the hard drive and set aside some HFS+ formatted space solely for the TM...

My question is... how much? I haven't yet bought the external drive because I'm going to get the AirPort, so I want to use the USB 2.0 port feature so I can put my media on it and be accessible by both Mac and PC.

How big an external drive do you think I should get? I was thinking 500.. It'll be some movies (but not an unreasonable amount... but mostly music, pictures, etc). And how much of the hard drive do you think I should set aside for the TM?

2. mrjaja macrumors newbie

mrjaja

I'm thinking of doing that as well, having one partition for Time Machine and one for files like movies files for video editing and so on.

I think it would vary on your computer's hard drive capacity. My First Mac say that an external hard drive should be 150% bigger than your computer's built in hard drive.

I'm hoping to get a MacBook soon with a 160GB hard drive, so I'm liking the look of this 400GB Freecom Hard Drive for £80 on Amazon.co.uk.

Hope that helps :)

3. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

It definitely does help, thanks.

If you're looking for 400GB... you can get Western Digital My Books for the equivalent of about £65... and you can get a 500GB for like less than £5 more on zipzoomfly.com

But I don't know if they ship outside US... or if you're attached to the Freecom name... but figured I'd say something in case you wanted to lower the price.

Thanks again! :)