External Hard drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Reem, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Reem macrumors member

Reem

Hi all, :cool:

I am currently editing on a G5 using Final Cut Pro. i was using a lacie hard drive as an external hard drive 600 GB, but I want to purchase a bigger hard drive as my editing is getting really extensive. I am between 2 choices :

1. Lacie Hard drive 1 Tera Byte
    1. Freecom DATA TANK 1 Tera Byte

Give me your feedback please !!:D

2. McBob macrumors member

My College bought about 12 of the laCie drives last september and all of them are working great! Considering the everyday punishment they had to go through constantly being used and moved about I think there a pretty good bet!

Robx

3. seany916 macrumors 6502

We shifted from LaCie to G-Technology after 2 of our LaCie drives stopped working (over 2 years). With 6 G-Tech drives, no failure in over 2 years.

I don't work for the company. I do a LOT of editing. Our drives are working.

Good luck.

4. dave@toastmedia macrumors member

If your running a g5 tower, it would be faster and cheaper to upgrade the internal hard drive or drives for a raid 1 or raid 0 depending on speed or backup protection.

alternatively.

A hybrid hard drive enclosure with lock n load features, raid and infini band would be the best choice, something akin to this.
    http://www.cooldrives.com/eidrrerasaii.html

To actually edit on however,a nice firewire external drive would be ok to edit on.
    http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewire/products/Ultra800.shtml

However a networked raid 1 drive consisting of two 500 gig drives on a networked connection, firewire or usb would be great for backup purposes as you know the data is duplicated twice for safety.

Or a networked machine that acts as a video server would suit the same principle.

At the moment.

I use a 750 gig maxtor firewire 400 as a scrubbing disk.
    I use a maxtor twin 500gig raid 1 for a backup server.
    Im currently only shooting in DV until the HD camera arrives and then I will go for infini band and the cased hard drive option.
    The faster drive is where i edit, the networked drive is the backup solution.

5. Merser macrumors member

Merser

Not to throw another choice into the mix but....

I bought an OWC Mercury Elite Pro from www.macsales.com

I could not be happier!! Its a great drive!

Good Luck

6. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I just received my OWC Mercury Elite Pro dual raid system. Worked fine one day, next day, drive won't mount on any of my Mac systems. Anyone had this before, hope OWC has good support as my enclosure is brand new