External Hard-drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soupyjnr, Feb 5, 2008.

1. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Hi there

I got an HP 300GB 'Personal Media Drive' - is this an external hard drive and can I use it on my MacBook

2. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

3. RickyThePanda macrumors newbie

I to have the same HP Personal Media Drive

I to have the same HP Personal Media Drive, and I went to connect to in my iMac so I could copy things from my iMac to it and when I tried to put things on it a message popped up saying that it couldn't move the file onto my HP Personal Media Drive because it (the HP Personal Media Drive) couldn't be modified... Is this issue due to the fact that it is Mac OSX and it is only compatible with Windows?... Because I was able to copy things for my PC (With Windows OS) onto it just fine... Also I would like to note that I was able to copy things FROM the Media Drive to my Mac, just not the other way around... PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP ME!

4. Eric. macrumors regular

The drive probably has some sort of security software like some flash drives do that only works in Windows. You can take care of that by formatting the drive after you save all of your files somewhere else first.

5. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

NTFS formatted?

6. TheJayWay macrumors member

I would hve to say this is the most likely culprit. OSX can access and view a drive formatted in NTFS but not edit it, so if you want it to work right you'll either have to reformat the drive to FAT32 or HFS...

7. RickyThePanda macrumors newbie

Oh alright.. Well I guess I wont go through the trouble of reformatting it... Because I really dont have to many files that I need to transfer from my Mac, so i'll just use a flash drive. My main purpose of getting the external hard drive was to transfer all my files from my PC I have now to the new one im getting.. But thanks for the help everyone. =]

8. panthers2 macrumors newbie

It's an EASY reformat . . . just go to Utilities in your Applications folder and click on Disk Utility, select the drive on the left then set the format to Mac OS Extended, it just takes a couple of minutes.

9. RickyThePanda macrumors newbie

oh alright cool, thank you. and then i can just change it back afterwards?

10. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Format it to MS-DOS FAT format! That way it's interchangeable with PCs and Macs. NTFS is good for PCs and Mac Extended is for OSX, FAT works with both and you'll be able to access the drive on either.

11. RickyThePanda macrumors newbie

awesome, thanks for the help

12. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog