External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BlackLight, Dec 6, 2008.

1. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

Can you partition an external hard drive to work with both vista and Mac OSX? can i have one external hard drive and want to use it for both vista and mac OSX

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

OSX can read and write to windows ntfs partitions with ntfs-3g installed. You should install that no matter what you decide to do. Go ahead, I'll wait.

On Vista, to read and write to mac hfs partitions, you need macdrive. It works well.

My external drives are almost all partitioned in hfs, for mac. I have macdrive installed on all windows machines I use. One hdd I have is partitioned in ntfs, so I can use it with my xbox.

3. BlackLight thread starter macrumors regular

BlackLight

ok let me try to get this ..i've downloaded ntfs-3g and mac drive,....not what ure telliing me to do is to install the mac drive on my windows partition and the ntfs-3g on my osx partition and when i format my external hard drive with macosx cause i want tto use time machine ..that windows will be able to read my drive when i use vista ? ...forgive me i am new to this ...its my very first mac machine. thanks for your patience in advance.

Edit: and would i really need both ? never mind it works thanks