External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jesdw, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jesdw macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Right so I am in the middle of buying myself a home studio, running Logic studio 8 on my MBP.

Already knowing that it is best to store all the audio/project/pulg-in/loop files on an external, I am going to need to buy one. But as I may move around and mix projects elsewhere I firstly need it to be portable - 2.5" (like the LaCie Rugged hard drives, which is even more appealing as can withstand drops etc...), I think it should be around 500GB (but open to suggestion on capacity otherwise), and seeing as I'm going to be using an M-Audio Project Mix i/o control surface, my Firewire 800 port will be used up, it's going to have to be USB 2.0 (unless anyone has some FW800 daisy chaining options). I was also hopping if it could be at 7200rpm, with a 8mb cache or more just to make sure I have as much recording possibilities without latency problems or slow reading times, which after looking round was becoming impossible to find. Then again, if you think that those specs aren't really needed, it would make me a lot happier.

If anyone has suggestion or alternatives, or the set up that you might have, it would be greatly apreciated. Cheers.

2. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

For recording and playback, firewire is a much better option than USB due to the sustained transfer rates being much higher on FW.