Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
:apple: Anyone got any ideas of what external Hard drive i should get. i have a 500 Gig iMac any ideas would be great. thanks!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
A couple of rants.
I. Mods, is this worth closing given that there are numerous threads in multiple places in the forums?
II. Search.
III. A tad more details, what you do (media work/back-up/both), price range, size...

If you are looking for a specific brand, Western Digital is sorta the brand iThink that most people first look into it, and they are fairly cheap, have a decent warranty, a lot of options, etc and would be my recommendation if you have no clue.

A couple of other notes: Firewire is not needed, but better, if you are solely backing-up say via Time Machine, it prbly is not necessary. I'd stick to a powered drive. Remember that the disk speed is important, but the cache can often hinder performance. Building your own will likely be cheaper, but some chose not to go that route.

Everyone has their own experiences, but I imagine that most of them are positive. Sure, there are these threads about how person x's drive failed and person y wouldn't buy anything but them. I own three drives that there are plenty of horror stories about.

No one would ever post: "I love my Western Digital 1TB Drive", unless someone posts a horror story about one. Companies ship tons of drives daily, not everyone will be perfect.

The best advice is to find one that has a good warranty and excellent customer service. And then avoid reading these threads so you don't lose any sleep.

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives...

1TB is prbly a good size to start at it, I would say most people looking for non-mobile externals start at that size, here is a recent thread about that...
More literature found here.
Here, is another thread on 1TB Hard Drives
This one is about LaCie...
Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
Here is one on USB 1TB, I'd stick to Firewire...
And if all else fails, MRoogle

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
sorry for the little info i had to leave

i have a western digital my book 500 gig and it isnt backing up with my time machine

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
sorry for the little info i had to leave

i have a western digital my book 500 gig and it isnt backing up with my time machine

What seems to be the issue?
Perhaps we can solve it here for you, or at least point you in the right direction?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
May I Guess that Tomple is posting from a non-computer device? I'm still somewhat confused? You have a 500GB iMac and a 500GB Western Digital Drive, but you want a new one because your current one doesn't work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.