External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CanadianEh, Aug 18, 2009.

1. CanadianEh macrumors member

Just purchased the 15" MBP and looking for an external hard drive. The size I'm looking for is at least 750 MB. Hoping to get one that has firewire capability. Any recommendations? Thank you.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would recommend the 1 TB Western Digital MyBook with Firewire

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Have a look at this WD MyBook Studio with FW800 from Compu2000 (Canada) ...

http://www.compu2000.com/product/832/WDH1Q10000N/Western_Digital_WD/

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I think you want something with 750[gb]. What are you doing, if it's just backup, Firewire isn't really necessary.

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives...

Other User's Recommendation's:
    Build Your Own: uberamd, kufford, SaSaSushi, nanofrog, Ti_Poussin
    Drobo: gatepc recommends it, further mixed discussion here.
    EZQuest: LizKat has owned a variety of Monsoons
    G-Tech: RebornKillah recommends the G-Drive Quad 500GB, but it's currently out of production; Digital Skunk notes the great warranty; jaysmith recommend G-Tech
    Hitachi: Trag (SimpleTech Signature Mini 500GB); Thedesolateone also recommends Hitachi.
    Iomega: mc3s (Ultramax 34495 1.5 TB); Justin Lee (eGo 500GB Portable Mac).
    ioSafe: Tterb recommends.
    LaCie: Note: there is an entire thread dedicated to LaCie, I have summed up support from users below, but simply a tally
    jrotunda85, (d2 Quadra 1 TB); RedTomato, gatepc & eVolcre, {although eVolcre owns the one with eSata and Firewire 400}(Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton 1 TB); iGary (LaCie Rugged); Gymnut (F.A. Porsche, out of production); VanMac (BigDiskExtreme, out of production); Digital Skunk (2Big Triple, out of production)
    Users expressing general support: cmcbridejr, dpaanlka, LethalWolfe, mpsrig, UltraNeo*, iPhoneNYC, chocolate632, Hellhammer, romanaz
    Users not so happy with LaCie: surfmadison (not a big fan), accacc57, dave12345 (Little Disk), jaysmith, Jerkfish, auero, mperkins37, dfs & jessica.
    Maxtor: adamvk purchased a OneTouch 4 1TB (not sure what version)
    Seagate: steeler (FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB); MacMini2009, rick3000 (Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1 TB USB Mac); Acid303 does not recommend the (new) Seagate FreeAgent Desk series
    SimpleTech: J&JPolangin (SimpleTech 2TB SimpleDrive Pro Duo); BlizzardBomb recommends the Go; suekitch recommends Seagate because of its warranty
    Western Digital: MacMini2009, xpress1 & MacDawg (MyBook Studio 1TB); Thiol notes purchasing an incredible seven Western Digital MyBook Studio drives all working flawlessly; Acid303 also notes a positive experience with a non-Studio Edition Western Digital drive; terp2007 & matthewscott661 recommend the Passport Series; munkees notes a failure with one of the drives purchased, but a positive experience overall; rikdiddy, RebornKillah & Jerkfish also recommend Western Digital. chrono1081 does not recommend Western Digital & romanaz was also not happy.

Other Threads:

1TB is prbly a good size to start at it, I would say most people looking for non-mobile externals start at that size, here is a (not-so) recent thread about that...
    More literature found here.
    Here, is another thread on 1TB Hard Drives
    This one is about LaCie...
    Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
    Here is one on USB 1TB, I'd stick to Firewire...
    And if all else fails, MRoogle

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Sadly, I think your comment is overkill while the links you provided were really good.:D

You would seriously recommend a Drobo, then go and buy 4 drives?:confused:

What is wrong with requesting firewire, I wouldn't allow one of my precious USB ports be taken up by a backup drive that will be plugged in all the time sucking up CPU cycles, might as well use the Firewire and further down the line daisy chain.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, Copy & Paste got the better of me.

My point was more towards if you are only going to back-up, then you don't need Firewire, whereas if this was a media drive or something used for editing, it would be nice. I agree Firewire is better in terms of speed and obviously a lot less things use a Firewire 800 Port then a USB, but if price is an issue, USB drives are cheaper.

7. felt. macrumors 6502a

found an enclosure without hdd on ebay for cheap from these guys http://oyendigital.com and its been working like a champ for few years now (got the firewire 800/esata/usb 2.5" one)
    also using icy dock enclosure for firewire 800 3.5" drives

8. CanadianEh thread starter macrumors member

Wow, quite extensive list. Looks like quite a bit to choose from. I'll have to see what's available up here in Canada. Thanks for the listing.