External Hard Drives Disconnecting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by entropyfl, May 12, 2017.

1. entropyfl macrumors regular

Backstory:

I''ve been running a 2014 5k iMac and Lacie 2Big 6 TB. Since day one the Thunderbolt always kept disconnecting when I came back to the computer after leaving it overnight. I then moved to its USB3 connection and its been fine.

I now have a drobo 5C with USB C via USB dongle and its not been disconecting but the file system keeps getting corrupted. Drobo Tech said its strange but maybe has something to do with iMac going to sleep etc.

I've now set up the iMac to just dim the screen but keep internal hard drives running etc and both externals now seem to be working fine and no disconnects for a few days .

I have some questions though now..

1. Why would Thunderbolt give me disconnects but USB wouldn't?
    2. Why is it not disconnecting Drobo but instead corrupting the file system.
    3. The lace drive doesn't seem to go into stand by mode i.e. fans always on.. is this Normal?

Thanks

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

3. entropyfl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Crazy its still going on... that post you quoted was from 2014

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Some people recommended updating Lacie Desktop Manager, but I had moved on from the brand by then. It definitely was not a Thunderbolt or an Apple issue, or one relating to power nap, as the Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2 products I use now all work flawlessly and never randomly disconnect (and literally, every last one of my secondary storage mediums, including TB, eSATA, USB 2.0 HDDs, SSDs, flash drives, & SD cards, and my USB hub, run through my TB2 dock and function flawlessly...even if I am connected to 10+ disks simultaneously.) I think some product lines have done a better job implementing Thunderbolt than others?

5. hick9 macrumors newbie

hick9

I think Sierra has a lot of Thunderbolt/USB sleep issues. I have the Drobo 5D which ran fine until Sierra. Now I can run the Drobo with Thunderbolt no problem until I try to sleep, then the Drobo stays awake and basically stops Thunderbolt throughput to my Monitor. I have to shut down everything reboot everything and it works fine again.

I too tried USB3 and that does put the Drobo to sleep, only now I get the improper disconnect message every so often out of the blue.