External Hard Drives for Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macuser1232, Oct 21, 2012.

1. macuser1232, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hey I'm looking for an external hard drive that has 2.0 USB(can have other ports too) that is under 100 dollars that has a capacity of 500GB. What hard drives should I look at? Any good western digitals? Also, I can have a portable or desktop hard drive. Doesn't matter.

Thanks

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I picked up a one TB Toshiba hard drive about two years ago for about $99. Not sure if the price has gone down since then or if it's the same or higher.

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I think I could get one for cheaper. Thanks anyway though.

4. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I think I am going to go with the Western Digital My Passport Studio.

5. Gala macrumors regular

I just got a TB WD Passport Mac formatted today. Going through my initial backup now. It's small, sturdy, and silver/black so it looks appealing too next to my Macbook. The guy at the store said I can not only have TM back it up but I can drag and drop items into a separate folder to use it as an HDD too.

I plan to store 250 mb of movies in the passport and then have TC backup routinely also.

6. Vandefilm macrumors regular

I bought a 1 TB harddrive 2 years agoo for 70 euro's (90 dollars?). I have it formatted in two partitions, one for TM and one for storage. It's not the fastest thing on earth, but i don't mind waiting an extra minute. I would be strange if those things costs more nowadays.

7. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

How come you have to format it? Doesn't it already come in the Mac hard drive format?

8. Gala macrumors regular

I should have phrased it differently. I was looking into getting the WD Passport on Amazon and decided to check them out at Best Buy while I was there yesterday. There was a "WD Passport" & then in a different section there was a "WD Passport For Mac". From what I understand the one for Mac is set up/formatted so that it works out of the box with Time Machine & it seems that you can also use it as side storage.

After my first Time Machine Backup last night I now have, within Passport, a folder (Backups) with a subfolder (Macbook Pro) with a dated backup file in it. I also made my own folder next to the Backups one (Movies). I put 200GB of movies in that folder and iTunes seems to be reading them from the Passport fine right now.