Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louise1411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I'm having to buy a new external hard drive roughly every month - they just keep dying, and disk utility can't fix them. I use time machine to back up my macbook pro, which is under year old - brand new hard drive, just don't know the cause of it. Any thoughts most welcome, thanks.

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm having to buy a new external hard drive roughly every month - they just keep dying, and disk utility can't fix them. I use time machine to back up my macbook pro, which is under year old - brand new hard drive, just don't know the cause of it. Any thoughts most welcome, thanks.

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Either you're buying crappy hard drives or they're not really breaking and you just think they are. Your MBP isn't going to "break" any external drive. What makes you think they're broken?

Reactions: Basic75

louise1411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Well Time Machine won't back up, and they don't show up in the finder, so I verify/fix in Disk Utility which tells me they can't be repaired and I need to back up files elsewhere.

I do buy increasingly good ones - £100 a time?

thanks

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

How many hard drives have you gotten through? Maybe your mishandling the drive? When its in use don't go moving it about. You must remember that they are still high speed moving object inside their enclosure that are affected by movement. Look after it and it should look after you.

louise1411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I do look after them - keep them in padded cases and don't move them ... got through about 7 this year? I'm scared to loose my backups, obvs.

I just thought it must be something my mac's doing as i've only had this prob with this mac.

Will post a screenshot later when i'm home - thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: DanteHicks79

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
I do look after them - keep them in padded cases and don't move them ... got through about 7 this year? I'm scared to loose my backups, obvs.

I just thought it must be something my mac's doing as i've only had this prob with this mac.

Will post a screenshot later when i'm home - thanks.

Thats ok then. Understand that I had to mention that because I've seen how some people treat hard drives with the assumption that they are invincible. I'll leave you in the hands of GGJstudios as he seems to be a very knowledgable techy and is more likely to find a solution than I am.

Reactions: DanteHicks79

noshjewman

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Picking up a very old thread... I kept thinking I was being sent dud hard drives by Amazon, but I have just realised it must be my MacBook Pro killing them: as it has just killed a second that was working before.

The drives are completely dead - they don't light up and Disk Utility doesn't see them. Any ideas what this might be? Is it fixable?

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Not sure whether this helps, but one thing I've noticed is that external hard drives can be unreliable with cheap or long cables, or with other setups that don't deliver enough power to them.

Neon_pixie2022

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2022
This same thing has been happening to me now for the past 3 years - approx every 3-6 months I have had to buy a new external hard drive and get one recovered which seems insane. I just sent a hard drive to be recovered after only 3 months - it was a brand new seagate hard drive - I kept it in a case all the time and it was literally the cable falling out once that completely 'killed it'. I didn't get any replies from Seagate helpdesk still after enquiring (I am in china and had to get help from overseas helpdesk, there doesn't seem to be help here). Apple said there is nothing in my Macbook Air that would cause this but clearly nobody else around me is having these issues. Now it has happened yet again I don't really know what to do any more besides try a new brand of hard drive (LaCie anyone?) or buy a new laptop!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This same thing has been happening to me now for the past 3 years - approx every 3-6 months I have had to buy a new external hard drive and get one recovered which seems insane. I just sent a hard drive to be recovered after only 3 months - it was a brand new seagate hard drive - I kept it in a case all the time and it was literally the cable falling out once that completely 'killed it'. I didn't get any replies from Seagate helpdesk still after enquiring (I am in china and had to get help from overseas helpdesk, there doesn't seem to be help here). Apple said there is nothing in my Macbook Air that would cause this but clearly nobody else around me is having these issues. Now it has happened yet again I don't really know what to do any more besides try a new brand of hard drive (LaCie anyone?) or buy a new laptop!
Seem like a basic basic of Lacie bad design! Over the years the accessory threads on these drives make very worried about the device from that company!

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Can I ask what brand you are buying? I've been using a WD My Passport 4TB HDD as a time machine for three months now and it's 100% reliable. It cost me about £80 from Amazon. Before that I used a Seagate 2TB HDD for 11 years, which still was fully functional when I officially retired it on April 5th when my Studio Max arrived.

Not boasting btw, just trying to point out that your experience of a hard drive dying every few months is not at all typical. Something's not right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.