External hard drives keep breaking with Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by louise1411, Sep 17, 2012.

1. louise1411 macrumors newbie

I'm having to buy a new external hard drive roughly every month - they just keep dying, and disk utility can't fix them. I use time machine to back up my macbook pro, which is under year old - brand new hard drive, just don't know the cause of it. Any thoughts most welcome, thanks.

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Either you're buying crappy hard drives or they're not really breaking and you just think they are. Your MBP isn't going to "break" any external drive. What makes you think they're broken?

3. louise1411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Time Machine won't back up, and they don't show up in the finder, so I verify/fix in Disk Utility which tells me they can't be repaired and I need to back up files elsewhere.

I do buy increasingly good ones - £100 a time?

thanks

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run Disk Utility on a drive and when you get the error messages, take a screen shot and post it.

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

How many hard drives have you gotten through? Maybe your mishandling the drive? When its in use don't go moving it about. You must remember that they are still high speed moving object inside their enclosure that are affected by movement. Look after it and it should look after you.

6. louise1411 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do look after them - keep them in padded cases and don't move them ... got through about 7 this year? I'm scared to loose my backups, obvs.

I just thought it must be something my mac's doing as i've only had this prob with this mac.

Will post a screenshot later when i'm home - thanks.

7. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Thats ok then. Understand that I had to mention that because I've seen how some people treat hard drives with the assumption that they are invincible. I'll leave you in the hands of GGJstudios as he seems to be a very knowledgable techy and is more likely to find a solution than I am.