External Hard Drives Not Mounting on Boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KettyKrueger, Feb 20, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All

I have an annoying problem; I have 2 x 1TB Seagate daisy chained and then connected by FW800 to my iMac.

When I do a fresh boot up (in the morning usually), the hard drives don't automatically mount, I have to take the FW plug out and put it back in again.

Any way to resolve this?

Also, on a related note (kind of), the other day I was trying to copy some files to an SD card plugged into a USB SD card reader. I kept getting a message stating that the operation failed. I was trying to copy a few JPEGS (around 3MB in size), could it have been something to do with the format of the card? Not sure what it is off the top of my head.

Thanks.

2. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Are you running Leopard? This is a common problem with WD MyBook FW400 drives on the new iMac Al models. Something about firewire enumeration problem.

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Yup, running 10.5.6.

Damn it! I hope they fix it with Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the reply, btw.

4. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

To get around it, I plug my problem WD MyBook drives through another external drive that doesn't have this problem - yes, I'm crossing my fingers it gets fixed.

5. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Oh right, yeah I could try plugging the other drive directly into the mac.

Cheers.

6. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Apologies for exhuming this old thread.

I'm still have the problem with my FW drives. The USB stick issue seems to have been resolved, simply by plugging the sticking directly into the mac and NOT the keyboard :rolleyes:

There must be a solution for the Seagate drives. To make matters worse, it's not just when I fresh boot, it happens when I wake the computer from sleep (not always) but it makes it really hard to use my mac as an alarm as all my music on the external :mad:

I did try switching the cables but that had no effect. Any other solution/suggestions.

Many thanks.