External hard drives - sometimes mount, sometimes don't. Ongoing problem.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2.2ghz blah blah blah, with the latest version of tiger installed (all updates, etc).

I have two external HDs hooked up to an external USB 2.0 hub.

Here is the thing: OSX sometimes mounts the external drives, sometimes doesn't. It seems, to me, to be almost 100% random. At the moment my 250gb NTSF drive is mounted. I had to restart because my MBP froze up (for the second time this week btw, I also had a kernal panick. My GF just commented, "you new laptop freezes more than my computer!" - she has an old XP Pro machine I built for her. I feel great). Anyway, before I restarted both my drives were working properly, one 250gb NTSF and one 250gb FAT32. I restarted, and only the NTSF drive came back.

The thing is the drives keep spinning up, they are on, spinning, blah blah, just not mounted.

So, of course I tried using disk utility to mount the drive, but when that happens I get "error messages", I believe disk utility recommend I run disk recovery but, that isn't an option or it didn't do anything. No fix.

So, I end up restarting my drives, powering them up, powering them down, sometimes for a seemingly random reason start working.

Anyway, any thing I should know?

Anyway, I have read about people having problems with external hard drives, but I'm wondering if there are any solutions I'm missing, etc.

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
same here...

So, I end up restarting my drives, powering them up, powering them down, sometimes for a seemingly random reason start working.
same here. i suspect it has something to do with harddrive usb board, as i have 3 drives, and two of them exibit random mount behavior while one always mounts. i plug mine direct into the usb slot, and same behavior. maybe leopard will fix...

Comment

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
I'm kind of having some of the same problems, except mine deals with FW400 and FW800. I mount an external My Book HD and it doesn't show up on finder. It'll show up in Disk Utility, but I can never access it...

Funny thing is, I use it all the time over my network using the AirDisk utility. Hopefully it'll be fixed with Leopard.

Comment

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I'm kind of having some of the same problems, except mine deals with FW400 and FW800. I mount an external My Book HD and it doesn't show up on finder. It'll show up in Disk Utility, but I can never access it...

Funny thing is, I use it all the time over my network using the AirDisk utility. Hopefully it'll be fixed with Leopard.
I'm not holding my breath. Maybe, but... Seems like something that could/should have been fixed long ago.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.